Saturday, June 22, 2013

Rezianne's Question

Wrote this and saved it as a draft a couple months ago:

"Let me ask though, what did you learn from your past exes?"

"Well that was an interesting question!
From my first boyfriend in 6th-7th grade, who is also my current boyfriend, I experienced my first love ... Maybe even my first heartbreak that was pretty much on and off for a while. From Rainier, my second boyfriend, from 7th-8th grade, I learned a lot about being a good person, loving hard, and being faithful. I also learned that communication is key because we lacked that and that we are better off as friends. From my boyfriend of 3 years from HS, I learned a lot about communication. We held on to a long distance relationship for 3 years, only seeing each other for a couple weeks during winter and summer vacations. I also learned to be true to be selfish for once because I realized that I was putting my life on hold for someone who didn't want to advance in life. He didn't go to school for the duration of our relationship. He wanted a future with me, but our goals didn't match up. What he wanted from me--ending up with me, marrying me, etc--could not be done because he lacked ambition academically and vocationally. I realized that I needed to be with someone who wanted a future with me and who could support a future with me. He never did anything wrong. Never did me wrong. So I had to do something I didn't want to do. It was something I HAD to do. For myself for once. From my recent ex of 3 years, I learned a lot. I learned that YES boys will be boys. I learned to trust my gut. I learned that it's okay to trust easily. That it's okay to be vulnerable, BUT that it is most important to own up to it in the end. I had to really pick myself up and leave the relationship because it was toxic to me. At the same time, I learned to be selfish, to take risks, to love unconditionally, to love hard, to give (even when my efforts weren't being reciprocated--that was the toxic part), that I needed to love myself, and that I deserved MUCH better.

At the end of the day, I don't regret being with my exes. I'm glad that I endured the things I endured with them because I wouldn't be who I am right now with Lawrence. They've all had positive impacts on me as well as a couple negative ones. It's all a big learning experience and I've learned that I deserve what I have right now. So for my exes, I am thankful!

And for having Lawrence, I am extremely grateful. I can not wait for what's in store for us! I look forward to learning about him and us as a couple. But most importantly, I'm excited to learn about myself because he has an insane effect on me that only I understand. It's beautiful. It's amazing. I look forward to growing with him in a way I never could have imagined. And to become the best version of us that we can be-together, because of each other. Cheers to that!"

0 comments: